Sunday, July 27, 2008

Lean on ME!


“NO thanks, I’ll get by” my friend said as I offered help. The tone of his voice reminded me of myself not so many years earlier. In the past, I stubbornly refuse when well-meaning people kindly offered to help.

Sometimes we see help as a sign of weakness and asking for help is very uncomfortable and embarrassing. When friends wanted to help, we find it difficult to allow them to do even small favors for us. We protest and complain because we don't want to be a burden to anyone. We try to be independent and show people that we can do it alone. But no matter how independent we might be, painful loss can push us off balance.

Because of our pride, it is very hard to open our empty lives and accept help from others. When we lose control, it is impossible to cope by ourselves. Let’s learn how to receive and acknowledge that we need others.

We should understand that often through these very human sources that God gives us what we secretly long for in our loss. There are times in our lives that we are going to need help from our friends. Friends to lean on in our time of desolation, friends to listen to and to hold us up when the limbs of our daily existence are wobbly and weak.

We all need help, above all, we need the help of our Lord as we go about our daily tasks, especially when we struggle to attend to our responsibilities and still find time for God.

The psalmist wrote, "Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord."
-Psalm 121:1

Life as we know it, accept help from your friends!




No comments: